Collectively, institutions spend many billions of dollars on goods and services annually. Each purchasing decision represents an opportunity for institutions to choose environmentally and socially preferable products and services and support companies with strong commitments to sustainability.
This tab provides access to data collected through AASHE’s Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS). STARS is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance. STARS enables meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions using a common set of measurements developed with broad participation from the campus sustainability community.
All responses reference content from reports under the latest version of STARS, version 2.2. AASHE membership and log-in is required.
OP 11: Sustainable Procurement
- Institution-wide policies, guidelines or directives (upload)
- Institution-wide policies, guidelines or directives (description)
- LCCA policy and/or practices
- Published standards for chemically intensive products and services
- Published sustainability criteria for consumable office products
- Published standards for furniture and furnishings
- Published standards Information Technology (IT) and equipment
- Published standards for food service providers
- Published standards for garments and linens
- Published standards for professional service providers
- Published standards for transportation and fuels
- Sustainable procurement website URL
OP 12: Electronics Purchasing
OP 13: Cleaning & Janitorial Purchasing
- Percentage of expenditures on third party certified cleaning and janitorial products
- Website URL - cleaning & janitorial purchasing
OP 14: Office Paper Purchasing
Additional analysis on scores and quantitative fields can be conducted using the STARS Benchmarking Tool.