Honours Bachelor of Environmental Design & Planning
This program combines the theory, knowledge and techniques of landscape architecture, urban design and physical planning with training in geographic information systems, computer-aided design, visualization and presentation technologies. Students work on case studies and community-based projects with sustainability in mind. Through this bachelor of environmental design program, students participate in three co-operative work placements, putting their skills to the test with real projects. In the final year of the program, students solve a real, site-specific environmental design problem to showcase all of their newly developed skills.
Once graduated, students can enter the private sector with planning and GIS consultants, landscape architects and developers, or the public sector with municipalities, conservation authorities and provincial ministries. The degree also prepares students for continued study at the graduate level.
- Identify the varied nature and characteristics of sites, neighbourhoods, communities and regions.
- Investigate and analyse complex environmental planning and design problems.
- Conceptualize and propose solutions to environmental planning and design problems.
- Evaluate proposed solutions to environmental planning and design problems/opportunities.
- Participate in the full range of environmental planning and design activities such as land development and municipal planning.
- Facilitate participatory environmental planning and design activities such as public meetings and workshops.
- Apply planning and design principles in general, and more specifically those related to sustainability, ecology and environmental aesthetics, to the planning and design of the built and natural environment.
- Apply contemporary digital technologies such as geographic information systems and computer-aided design to the investigation, analysis and communication of environmental design problems/opportunities and the presentation of design solutions.
- Create professional quality written and graphic documentation such as reports, plans and presentations.
- Communicate effectively using various digital media such as computer-aided design, visualization software and geographic information systems.