The Geology (MS) program stresses a strong background in the earth sciences, as well as the ability to carry out research. It prepares students for successful careers as geoscientists in the environmental and engineering industries, oil and gas exploration or government service, or for continued studies toward a Ph.D. A particularly beneficial aspect of the M.S. program is the opportunity for students to integrate studies in geology, geophysics, and environmental subjects.
Upon completion of the M.Sc. in Geology, graduates should be able to:
- Conduct original, publishable research in the field.
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of earth processes.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of a sub-discipline in the earth sciences.
- Demonstrate acquired skill in field or laboratory methods and application of appropriate quantitative methods.
- Write and speak effectively to professional and lay audiences about issues in the field.
- Teach effectively at the undergraduate level.