MPH Environmental Health Promotion and Policy
The Environmental Health Promotion and Policy program provides the foundation for understanding and anticipating environmentally- and occupationally-related health impacts, the skills for using this knowledge and available policy and health promotion tools to improve human health, and an understanding of approaches to evaluating the success or failure of environmental health interventions.
The program is based on three complementary pillars: environmental health, health policy and health promotion. Within these three pillars lie the core competencies that students in the proposed program are expected to achieve. Within these three pillars lie the core competencies that students in the proposed program are expected to achieve, described below.
- In-depth knowledge of Environmental Health Science, including exposure science, air and water quality, diseases associated with occupational and environmental hazards, risk assessment, and toxicology
- Evaluate exposures to a range of environmental and occupational hazards
- Describe the direct and indirect health effects of major environmental and occupational hazards
Describe and apply current environmental risk assessment, risk management and risk communication approaches
In-depth knowledge of Health Policy, including environmental law, environmental policy, risk management policy regulation of health risks, and assessment of politics
- Understand international, federal, state, and local regulatory programs, guidelines and authorities addressing environmental health issues.
Evaluate policy and legal approaches for controlling environmental health hazards that pose risks to human health and safety
In-depth knowledge of Health Promotion, including environmental health promotion and communication of health risk information
- Recognize issues of environmental justice and health disparities, both nationally and internationally.
Design health promotion and behavioral approaches for mitigating environmental health hazards that pose risks to human health and safety
Ability to evaluate programs
Design program evaluation strategies to evaluate the effectiveness of policy- and behaviorally-focused environmental health interventions
Ethical conduct and professional practice
- Understand and apply ethical perspectives and professional practice in all areas of environmental health
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills related to the translation and dissemination of environmental health promotion and policy issues