Minor in Sustainability Studies
The Sustainability Studies Program provides an interdisciplinary framework within which students can study the foundations of sustainability and learn how to apply this knowledge to the development and implementation of sustainable values, innovations, practices, and technologies, in our homes, in business, on campus, and in our communities. It emphasizes connections between environment, economy, and society; and builds a community of faculty and students committed to tackling the complex socio-environmental problems confronting our communities and the world. In addition to the traditional classroom, sustainability studies bridges the gap between campus and community through civic engagement and experiential, project-based, and service learning.
Top 5 Reasons to Study Sustainability
- Sustain the Planet Reduce our contribution to the systematic accumulation of materials from the earth's crust and substances produced by society.
- Sustain the Economy Create prosperity while reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, utilizing abundant and biodegradable materials, using natural resources wisely, and focusing on business models that ensure human rights are respected.
- Sustain Nature Reduce our contribution to the ongoing physical degradation of nature by focusing on the most productive and efficient use of resources and land.
- Sustain People Reduce our contribution to conditions that undermine people's ability to meet their basic needs.
- Sustain the Future Learn to create a sustainable future in your home, work, school and community.